In the late 1950s, the city purchased large parcels of land along East Cache Creek in northern Comanche County for the construction of a man-made lake with a dam built in 1959 on the creek just north of U. Other surrounding cities include Wichita Falls about 47 mi (76 km) to the south, Duncan about 33 mi (53 km) to the east, and Altus about 56 mi (90 km) to the west.The area consists mostly of Permian Post Oak Conglomerate limestone on the northern sections of the city.
- zoodating forum
- backdating fraud
- speed dating westerstede
- All sex chatroom egypt
- dating black escorts new york
As of the census of 2010, 96,867 people, 34,901 households, and 22,508 families resided in the city.
The population density was 1,195.4 people per square mile (461.5/km²).
Interstate 44 and three major United States highways serve the city, while Lawton-Fort Sill Regional Airport connects Lawton by air.
Recreation can be found at the city's many parks, lakes, museums, and festivals.
Built on former reservation lands of Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache Indians, Lawton was founded on August 6, 1901, and was named after Major General Henry Ware Lawton, a Civil War Medal of Honor recipient killed in action in the Philippine–American War.
Lawton's landscape is typical of the Great Plains, with flat topography and gently rolling hills, while the area north of the city is marked by the Wichita Mountains.Around the 1700s, two tribes from the north, the Comanches and Kiowas, migrated to the Oklahoma and Texas region.For most of the 18th century, the Oklahoma region was under nominal French control as Louisiana.Historic indigenous peoples who inhabited the region included the Wichita and Caddo peoples.In the 16th century, Spanish explorer Francisco Vásquez de Coronado visited in 1541, beginning European contact.Notable residents of the city include many musical and literary artists, as well as several professional athletes.